Saturday, October 5, 2013

Berry time!

I am a freaking berry and grapes fan. I can sit and finish up a whole kilo all by myself. They are small, have this sweet and sour mix and are so nutritious being rich in antioxidants.

I love trying out new recipes and the festive mood just makes me experiment more and venture out into shores I have not sailed so far. I also got inspired very much by Devaki Mami's gooseberry jam while I was in India. It was more than yummm! Nutritious and tasty put together is rare combo. So when I saw this box of cranberries the first thing that ran into my mind is why shall I not try making a home made Jam this time? No added preservatives and colour et all. As usual for all my cooking adventures I pick up recipe from the net and modify it to suite my instincts and taste.

Here is an extract about benefits of cranberries from the following website.

"Cranberries have vitamin C and fiber, and are only 45 calories per cup. In disease-fighting antioxidants, cranberries outrank nearly every fruit and vegetable--including strawberries, spinach, broccoli, red grapes, apples, raspberries, and cherries!"
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cranberries-year-round-superfood

What I did was plain simple. Got the dried cranberries to soak in about a glass of hot water for about an hour. Ground it into a thick paste. After that I simple boiled it in a pan gently stirring it on and off so that it thicken. I added just about two spoons of sugar to it while boiling. It is optional. I have fussy toddler at home and I felt the sourness standing out from the jam might turn him off. Once the sauce thickened I turned off the flame and let it cool. Store in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator.

So yumm that its become my daily spread! Enjoy.

Home made Cranberry Jam

No comments: