Wednesday, February 4, 2009

the so called uncultured keepers of culture!!!

A lot of incidents over the last few weeks have kept me thinking, questioning, reasoning and not just in peace with myself, my existence. I was born into this world with an XX chromosome. That being so, I was categorized as a direct descendant of eve. My creators were considerably liberal in bringing me up and I became more liberal once I was out of home after 21 years of grooming at home. I think what made me what I am today ( strictly w.r.t my views n thoughts n character J ) is my schooling, my days at college , incidents in my life during the grooming years. Six years back when I left my hometown and settled here I tasted the sweetness of new status of “independent” - ofcourse sweetness is followed by bitterness too. An independent girl, settled in a strange city, attracts a lot of talk and attention from neighbours, family friends and generally everyone. I had my good times and bad times. But I was at peace. I felt that it was slowly going to be a woman’s world, that India was finally opening its eyes, that people were learning there is more to a woman than being a daughter,wife, mother, housewife n blah blah… That she had the right to follow her dreams and ambitions. But dear god!!…i was so wrong!!! I might be terribly wrong, or mebbe I am in a total feminist mood today, but I find majority of the Indian population (educated and non educated) with the “superior” XY chromosome find the incidents in mangalore so absolutely right. Damn, I open the times of India daily to read more than a dozen of molestation, rape and assault cases on women. Not even children less than 2 years or old ladies spared from this mental and physical agony. Where are the ram sevaks? Why, don’t they think that abusing a woman is not as per the Indian culture? Or does our culture give license for everyone of the “family name carriers” a license to pass a comment, give a “passing touch” on the roads and lots more… I am fed up of signing women’s petitions – online and otherwise…I’m fed up of burning within, I’m fed up of feeling guilty that because of that one Y chromosome im a lesser gender, the gender who is taught and expected to be meek and soft. A gender whom everyone teaches morality. A gender whose freedom is restricted to kitchen. I am both amused and shocked that a fellow Infoscion thinks of a housewife as a hippo who cooks, cleans and washes the dishes. I mean how much more do we take?I am not a sita who will live by the line – “bhoomiyolam kshemikkuka”. I have crossed the limits of my patience. I look around at all the male species around me with doubt. Do they think of me in the same way? Am I seen as a cleaner? Cooker? A dish washer? A HIPPO – come’on ive lost considerable weight ….Aaargh! I read that the vanar sena is now threatening not to celebrate the day of love. There can’t be any love and peace. No, they want agitation and violence. That is against culture. I mean how am I to take that people in love dint meet when this day was not so popular? What is it that irritates them? I wonder…and can never understand mebbe. It looks to me like, if I don’t have any fun in my life, then u have no right to have any fun in yours too. aren’t they interested in building a nation? Spreading brotherhood? Don’t they want their wives, daughters and sisters to be able to walk free on the roads without having to worry about what form of attack would it be? Can we not live without safety pins , pepper sprays and the line “tumhare ghar pe maa behen nahin hein kya? Unse kaho”??? The sena and every one of d other lot needs to realize and accept that todays woman is much more than what he was taught and what he would ideally want it to be. She is as good , if not better than him in most things. Dear god, please bless me with a daughter only when the world is ready for her. I don’t want her to go through the same emotions and helplessness that I feel. PS to my male friends: no direct offense meant to anyone. J

1 comment:

sansmerci said...

it brought out the cryin within me... i was boilin with anger for past few weeks... not cos of the incident but cos of the people i kno personally who still consider women to be a weaker sex...jus cos they have an advantage of not being one!

well we opt to be morally rite and responsible, instead of being appreciated for it and tryin to follow the same.. its only being taken advantage of and they ask for more and more selfishly

its like the burglars say.. i will loot ur house.. its ur mistake to have belongings... i hear the MCPs shout we will rape u if u come in public its out birth rite.. i think female infanticides are better than these people.. atleast they don want us to go thro injustice and shit..

i swear i prayed the same thing that day... i dont want a daughter until the world grows up or atleast the people around me do... but hell no i don want to bring up a son with such an attitude either!